Don’t you just love drinking hot cocoa this time of the year? I do and I like mine with some spices.
I had a super yummy hot cocoa at a Christmas market once but never could find the mix to make it at home, so I came up with this recipe.
I hope you’ll like it. Let me know if you do.
Homemade hot cocoa mix with spices
Ingredients (fills a 300 ml glass jar)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- ½ cup dark muizestrontjes * (or chocolate chips)
- 2 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sift the sugar, cocao and spices into a bowl and add the “muizestrontjes”.
- Put the mixture in a food processor.
- Give it a few pluses to break up the chocolate.
- Store in a sealable jar or container.
- To drink, spoon 3 tbsp of the cocoa mix in a mug, fill it with milk and heat in the microwave oven (or transfer to a saucepan and heat over medium heat).
- * This is my dialect word for the Dutch “hagelslag” (sprinkles), which translates to “mouse droppings”, so called because of their size and colour. In fact, they are just chocolate sprinkles.
- To make it extra Christmassy you can add 1/4 tsp ground star anise and 1/8 tsp ground cloves for extra festiive flavour.