Today I’d like to share another knitted toy pattern with you. I found the idea for it on the internet a long time ago, have toyed with it and came up with this description.
I have loved making these in two colours and making two of them with a little difference, so I can call them twins.
I filled them with small elbow pasta. You could also use poly-fil or bits of yarn you saved from other projects. I wouldn’t recommend filling them with little Styrofoam balls. Been there, done that, it doesn’t work: the balls don’t move as well in the knitted toy as the pasta does.
Unlike the other toys I have posted about, these snakes cannot be washed if you fill them with pasta.
You can make them your own. Choose colours you know the child you’re knitting it for likes. Or make them in the colours of their favourite football or other sports team. They are ideal for keeping the draft from coming in when put at a door. And if you don’t fill them, you can use them as a scarf.
- 50 g of both green and yellow yarn fit for 3 mm knitting needles
- A bit of red yarn fit for 3 mm knitting needles
- 4 3 cm wobbly eyes
- 10 cups of small elbow pasta
- Cast on 24 sts.
- Beginning with a P row, st-st 3 rows.
- K6, M1L, K12, M1L, K6 / P 1 row (26 sts).
- K6, M1L, K14, M1L, K6 / P 1 row (28 sts).
- K7, M1L, K14, M1L, K7 / P 1 row (30 sts).
- K7, M1L, K16, M1L, K7 / P 1 row (32 sts).
- K8, M1L, K16, M1L, K8 / P 1 row (34 sts).
- K8, M1L, K18, M1L, K8 / P 1 row (36 sts).
- K8, OO, K16, OO, K8 / P 1 row (40 sts).
- K9, OO, K18, OO, K9 / P 1 row (44 sts).
- K10, OO, K20, OO, K10 / P 1 row (48 sts).
- K10, XX, K2, XX, K20, XX, K2, XX, K10 / P 1 row (56 sts).
- K12, XX, K2, XX, K24, XX, K2, XX, K12 / st-st 9 rows (64 sts).
- K12, K2togx4, K24, K2togx4, K12 / P 1 row (56 sts).
- K10, K2togx4, K20, K2togx4, K10 / P 1 row (48 sts).
- K8, K2togx4, K16, K2togx4, K8 / P 1 row (40 sts).
- K6, K2togx4, K12, K2togx4, K6 / st-st 9 rows in head colour (32 sts).
- Continue in stripes of 10 row for as long as you want the snake to be.
- K6, K2togx2, K12, K2togx2, K6 / st-st 9 rows (28 sts).
- K5, K2togx2, K10, K2togx2, K5 / st-st 9 rows (24 sts).
- K4, K2togx2, K8, K2togx2, K4 / st-st 9 rows (20 sts).
- K3, K2togx2, K6, K2togx2, K3 / st-st 9 rows (16 sts).
- K2, K2togx2, K4, K2togx2, K2 / st-st 9 rows (12 sts).
- Cut of a very long end.
- Weave in the ends and cut them off.
- Don’t close the mouth at this moment.
M1L, K2, M1R = OO
M1L, K1, M1R = XX
- Cast on 20 sts.
- Cast off 10 sts, K the remaining sts.
- K 1 row.
- Cast on 10 stst at the beginning of the next row.
- Cast off all sts.
- Sew the tongue inside the head at the lower part.
- Fill the snake with the filling of your choice.
- Close the mouth.
Please check this list for abbreviations used.