The Food Network is one of my favourite cooking channels. They have a variety of shows, many of which hosted by women, that have been an inspiration to my on many occasions.
One of the programmes, Siba’s Table, is hosted by the South African chef Siba Mtongana. She makes simple dishes with a waw effect.
In one of the shows she made 7-colour rice. This rice dish is easy and quick to make and is part of my menus very often. It can be combined with meat or fish, or simply eaten on its own. The recipe below is a variation of Siba’s but is very Annielicious (those of you who have watched the show will now what this refers to) 😉
You can have it with chicken, shrimp, minced meat or simply without as a vegetarian dish.
I hope you’ll try it one day.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 150 g rice (uncooked)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow pepper, diced
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, curry powder and water and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in the peppers and sauté for 5 minutes, until they are softish but still have some crunch.
- Finally add the rice, pepper and salt and leave on the heat until the rice is warm.