I hope you all had a good start into the new year!
Today’s recipe is one for a Flemish dish called tomaat garnaal. You could call it shrimp tomato. So if you like tomatoes or shrimps (or both), you’re in for a treat.
I hope you’ll like it.
- 2 large tomatoes
- 200 g grey shrimps (peeled)
- 30 g mayonaise
- 30 g ketchup
- 1 tsp cognac or whisky
- Mix the mayonaise, ketchup and cognac until well-combined.
- Add the shrimps, stir together and put to one side.
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Fill the tomatoes with the shrimps.
- Put on the ‘hats’ and decorate with a bit of shrimp.
- Voilà. Your tomaat garnaal is ready!
- To make the sauce healthier, use 15 grams of mayonaise and 15 grams of yoghurt.
- When serving to kids, you may want to leave the cognac out.
- We’d normally serve this with fries but I like it with bread or rice and/or some extra vegetables.
- You can keep the scooped out tomato in the fridge for a few days and use it in soup or tomato sauce.
- Serve one of these as a starter or two as a main dish.