My English and American friends love eggnog. I’ve never had it before. We don’t really know it over here. The only thing that comes close is “advocaat”, which is very boozy and thick.
When I looked for recipes on the internet, I always found that there was a lot of sugar, whole fat milk and whole fat cream in it.
Last year my friend Sally put a recipe for “skinny” eggnog on her website. I had planned too many drinks already, so didn’t try this recipe.
The time has come. This year is the year I had my first eggnog. The skinny version. Without any alcohol. And it was gooooooooooooooood!
So good I’ll have a go at adding alcohol the next time. Maybe.
I hope you like this recipe too.
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup white sugar
- 4 cups lowfat (1%) milk (can also use almond or soy milk for non-dairy option)
- 1tsp vanilla extract or paste
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together on low with handheld mixer (or by hand with whisk) until frothy
- Add milk, vanilla and spices and mix on low until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a large sauce pan and cook on medium low, constantly stirring until it starts to steam and form a whitish ring around edge. continue to cook at this point for about 1 minute. Don’t get too hot or over cook because it will turn into custard.
- Move to a pitcher or smaller glass container and chill for a minimum of 4 hours.
- For an adult beverage, you can add spike it with your fav spirit, such as brandy, rum or bourbon.