When I got up this morning I felt like baking. During my chores, I couldn’t help thinking of what to make and decided I didn’t want to follow a recipe.
I had a look in my pantry and came with the following experiment and I must say the cupcakes were very yummy. There was some chocolate ganache left. I couldn’t get it over my heart to throw it away, so I poured it into a mug, added some milk, heated it and had a very lush hot chocolate. Perfect to go with a cupcake (or two) on this rainy day.
Using dried cranberries gives them a Christmasy taste too, so I’m putting them on my menu for the holidays.
I hope you’ll try the recipe too.
Coconut-Lemon-Cranberry mini cupcakes
Ingredients (makes 15)
- 65 g coconut oil
- 65 g selfraising flour
- 0.5 tsp baking powder
- 25 g dried cranberries
- Large piece of lemon zest
- 65 g fine white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 15 g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place 15 paper liners in a mini cupcake tin.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave and let cool for a few minutes.
- Mix the selfraising flour with the baking powder.
- Give the flour mixture, the dried cranberries and the lemon zest a few pulses in the food processor.
- Pour the coconut oil in a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and mix with a hand held mixer for a minute or two.
- Add the egg and mix for another minute.
- Now pour the desiccated coconut in and mix again.
- Add the flower mixture and mix until it is just incorporated.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and give it a last quick mix.
- With a small ice cream scoop, fill ease case with 2 scoops (or use two teaspoons).
- Baking for 10 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when you insert it in the middle of one of the cakes.
- Take the tin out of the oven and leave for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and let them cool off completely
- 65 g dark chocolate chips
- 20 g coconut oil
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut for sprinkling
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave for about 30 seconds at a time, making sure it doesn’t burn.
- Mix well each time before returning to the microwave.
- When everything is melted, give it a last stir and set it aside for about half an hour.
- Dip every cupcake in the ganache, allow the access to drop off before you put the cupcake on a serving dish.
- Leave for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cupcakes with the desiccated coconut.
- Serve with coffee, tea or hot chocolate.