I love mashed potatoes and have them very often. A lot of recipes require butter and heavy cream. As I eat them frequently and want to keep my eating habits as healthy as possible, I have replaced the butter and heavy cream by sour cream. I know… It doesn’t taste the same but it makes me appreciate the full version more when I have it on special occasions. This recipe is also part of my menu for the Joyful Warrior Healthy Menu Planning Challenge.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 550 g potatoes, peeled and quartered
- ¼ to ½ cup of semi-skimmed milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan with salted water for 15-20 minutes, until they are very tender.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan on the cooker or in a jug in the microwave oven.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Turn the heat to high.
- Put the potatoes back in the pan to dry them and make them fluffy. Shake the pan so the potatoes don’t burn.
- Remove the pan from the cooker.
- Add half of the mil, the sour cream, salt and pepper to taste and mix with a hand-held mixer until smooth.
- Add more milk to get the consistency you like.