I have not been feeling well this weekend. Headache. Sore throat. Feverish. Enough reason to stay in, turn on the heating and not get out of my PJ’s.
My stock of tea needs a new supply as I had a mug every two hours or so.
Cooking was not on my mind. I wasn’t really hungry yesterday but wanted something velvety and comforting. So I decided on making a soup. Lucky for me, my fridge had a medium courgette and my onion basket was filled. But fidgety as I get when I’m not well, I didn’t feel like courgette soup. I went to the pantry and the only thing I found that made sense to add was a tin of cubed tomatoes with basil. The result exceeded my expectations. Tomatoes this time of year don’t have the same full taste as they do in summer but the tinned ones did.
I had a few crackers during the day today. But at about six in the evening I was hungry. The question was what to eat as I had not been grocery shopping yesterday. So back to the pantry I went and came back with a tin of kidney beans and pasta. There was still grated cheese, an egg and some soup in the fridge. This resulted in this recipe.
I hope you like it.
Tomato soup and kidney bean pasta with hidden egg
Ingredients for the soup
- 370 g courgette in cubes (or a medium sized one)
- 220 g white onion in cubes (or a large one)
- 1 400 g tin chopped tomatoes with basil
- 3 parsley stalks (with the leaves)
- 3 chicken stock cubes
- 1 liter water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Ingredients for the pasta
- 160 g uncooked pasta of your choice
- 1 400 g tin kidney beans (drained)
- ½ cup grated cheese (+ extra for grilling)
- 1 egg per portion
- 1 cup tomato soup
Method for the soup
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the courgette, onion, tomatoes and parsley and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the water and throw in the stock cubes.
- Turn the heat to high.
- When the soup comes to a fierce boil, turn to low and hold to the boil for half an hour.
- Take of the heat and mix with your favourite machine.
- Serve hot with croutons or a piece of bread.
Method for the pasta
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet (minus 1 minute).
- Put the kidney beans and cheese in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked pasta and soup.
- Mix well.
- Divide the pasta into portion sized dishes fit for the oven.
- Make a well in the middle of the pasta, break in an egg and cover with the pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve with side salad.